Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hungry Like the Ginger Wolf




I performed a yearly ritual a little early last night. I watched my favorite werewolf movie Ginger Snaps. Normally, I wait until October, and then bring on the lycanthropy. Just as I watch Alien every summer, and The English Patient every winter (non-horror--unless you include Count Olmasy's realistic burn make-up), October is reserved for Ginger Fitzgerald--sexiest werewolf, bar-none!


I have to confess that before Ginger Snaps, I considered werewolves to be a minor subgenre. I had seen the original Wolfman, starring Lon Chaney Jr., but hadn't given the subgenre much thought since then. I do like American Werewolf in London (which is available to watch on Hulu.com this month), but it was Ginger that won me over. Vampires will always reign supreme in terms of night creatures for me. Werewolves are a very close second--with a silver bullet.



Ginger Snaps tells the story of two teenage sisters, Ginger and Bridget, two Goths with a distaste for suburban mundanity. After Ginger is attacked by one of the nastiest werewolves on film, she begins to change. To quote elle loup herself, "I can't have a hairy chest, B.--that's fucked!"



As the full moon draws near, the transformation becomes more pronounced. Ginger shifts from angsty teenager, to bloodlusting beast in thirty days (just in time for Halloween). I would say more, but I prefer not to spoil this film for those who haven't caught up with it.

Produced in Canada in 2000, Ginger Snaps was followed by both a sequel and a prequel. All three films star the gorgeous Katherine Isabelle in the title role, and the talented Emily Perkins as Bridget.

Tony of Horror Etc. fame has often asked the question, "Is it wrong to be attracted to a werewolf woman?"

My answer to that is, "If loving Ginger is wrong, I don't want to be right."






her picture goes on the fridge next to Sookie Stackhouse!






I spent a fair amount of time last night doing research on werewolves last (both ficticious and alledged). This is in preparation for a number of projects--not the least of which is an upcoming werewolf episode.

I highly recommend Ginger Snaps for those that like their horror dark, brutal, and without sparkles. Forget team Jacob, I want to be on TEAM GINGER!

Till then...bark at the moon, avoid wolfsbane, and pour me a pint at the Slaughtered Lamb pub.

"...She's that hairy-handed lass, who ran a amok in Baily Downs. Lately, she's been overheard in Kingstown...AhhhWoooooo, werewolves of London, Ontario!"

No comments:

Post a Comment