Friday, October 14, 2011

Nightmare Fuel Podcast: Episode Twelve--Alvin Schwartz SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK TRILOGY


Good evening...

Tonight, I offer you a trilogy of tantilizing tales to tease, taunt, titilate, and terrorize!

And I put guest host The Crypt Keeper back in his tomb for another night.

Tonight, I offer to you an analysis of three classic tales from Alvin Schwartz trilogy of young adult horror anthologies. The Scary Stories trilogy was a highly popular, and controversial, compendium of folklore retold by author Alvin Schwartz. The books were a staple of my adolescence.They introduced me to horror as a literary genre, as opposed to just a filmic one. For that, I am eternally grateful.

I share with you three stories from Alvin Schwartz seminal work.

1. The Girl Who Stood on a Grave
2. The Bus Stop
3. The Appointment

Consider this a primer on folklore, both new and old. While a good bit of Schwartz work deals with urban legends, that great genre of folklore will get its own episode soon.

As always, you can listen to the folkloric goodness here. Or, download from Archive.org

CLICK HERE: To Download From Archive.org

Email for this podcast: nightmarefuelpodcast@gmail.com

Remember to vote in the Halloween Reading Poll!
Only five days left!

The choices are...

1. The Hound--H.P. Lovecraft
2. My Own True Ghost Story--Rudyard Kipling
3. Lot 249--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
4. Dracula's Guest--Bram Stoker

Videos of the Week

Count Creepy and Friends Playset (one of many horror toys I enjoyed as a kid)

Mad Scientist Monster Lab! (One of the grossest toys I ever owned)

NEXT TIME: The Dark Side of English Lit.

Till Next Time...Try to Get Some Beauty Rest...
Stephen Gammell's fantastic grotesquery

 

1 comment:

  1. Between the "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" and the old toy commercials, this post was a trip back to my childhood! I used to love those books. They were pretty popular stories at my school. I suppose most of them were based off old urban legends. The best part of those books was the illustrations! How creepy. They were almost crossing the line for too scary for kids, but not quite. At last back in the day, anyway. :)

    What was the controversy you mentioned? Was it the question of them being too scary for kids? Or was the controversy over whether or not the stories were true?

    ReplyDelete